Sunday, August 11, 2013

Back At Last

As of a day ago, I am back at my parents' place in Michigan. The roughly thirty-hour trip from Kuala Lumpur to Detroit via Frankfurt seemed to go by mercifully fast this time, especially since I managed to sleep through much of the first leg. Thus upon reaching home in the early afternoon I was actually fit enough to work in the garden for a bit. There are lots of things in bloom but also much weeding to be done. Here is just a little selection of what currently pleases me the most:

An early-morning view of the frontyard

Agastache rupestris

An inflorescence of the supposedly hardy Agapanthus 'Hardy Blue' that I planted earlier this year

Purple passionflower or maypop (Passiflora incarnata)

'Little Lime' hydrangea (Hydrangea paniculata 'Jane')

Striped giant reed (Arundo donax 'Variegata')

A look into the backyard

Swamp milkweed (Asclepias incarnata)

Some late daylilies (Hemerocallis cv.)

It is a good year for peaches

There were also some surprises. My big, trusty Aloe vera, nicknamed Vera - the only one of my plants to have a such a name, by the way - has produced an inflorescence, unusual for this time of year. A pineapple plant grown a few years back from the head of leaves atop a bought fruit is similarly gearing up to flower, despite being much to small and rather ragged overall. I think it might be trying to bloom out of sheer desperation. Finally, I came home to find a pot in which I had sown Indian holy basil or tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum) early in the spring but from which only one sickly sprout had emerged in two months filled with sturdy, healthy seedlings.

Vera the Aloe vera being unseasonally floriferous

The sad little pineapple plant

Lots of basil babies

Now to be productive and get lots done the next couple of days...

3 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!