Friday, November 22, 2013

Seeds!

My order of vegetable seeds for next spring from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds has arrived! Somehow there is something very satisfying about stacks of seed packets, filled with so much promise of things to come.

Fun with seed packets

My order included three Indian eggplant varieties (two from Tamil Nadu and one from Kashmir), two varieties of melon (one Afghan and one Uzbek), an Iranian winter squash, an Iraqi water melon, an Indian chili pepper, Portuguese kale, mâche, and two varieties of rice. Of course, I will not be able to grow proper quantities of all of these on the modest garden plot that belongs to my apartment, so further selections may have to be made. The  rice is entirely an experiment; after spending much of my childhood desperately wanting to grow rice plants - I know, I was weird; but I was just mesmerized by all those pictures of rice paddies in travel magazines and glossy coffee table books, and I still think that the rice plant (Oryza sativa) has some of the most beautiful shades of green in the plant world - and not being able to buy rice that was not hulled and polished anywhere, I simply could not resist the opportunity to buy these seeds.

6 comments:

  1. So It seems you like eggplant. Here, the flea beetles do, too. (Me, I prefer peppers.)
    Ray

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do, though I have never grown them here. They seem to do very well for a lot of people in the neighborhood, though.

      Delete
  2. That should keep you busy for awhile :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like your youthful enthusiasm CG! Your tastes are a little exotic for me but I remember my own childhood enthusiasms.
    You remind me a little of a much loved former botanist colleague who at seventy odd is still growing 'eccentric things' such as rice
    Best wishes from York UK

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do indeed like my exotics but I also frequently find myself gaining a whole new appreciation for more "common" plants. Plants from South and Central Asia also hold a special place in my heart because my academic work focuses on that part of the world.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!