Tuesday, November 19, 2013

The Spoils of War... Or Rather My Lovely Weekend Trip to New Orleans

As I mentioned in my last post, my visit to New Orleans also included quite a bit of plant shopping. We visited Urban Roots and Harold's Plants, and there may also have been a quick trip to Home Depot and some digging for saplings and divisions in the beds in front of my friend's house.

My luggage on the way home

I ended up bringing back the following as my carry-on luggage, through two flights and a layover in Atlanta:

1 Lemon grass (Cymbopogon citratus)
1 Bear's breeches (Acanthus mollis)
1 Frangipani (Plumeria cv.)
1 Desert rose (Adenium obesum)
2 Australian tree ferns (Cyathea cooperi)
1 Rose glory bower (Clerodendrum bungei)
3 Cast-iron plant divisions (Aspidistra elatior)
18 Freesia bulbs (Freesia cv.)

Many of these are experiments for my new sun room; the Australian tree ferns (Cyathea cooperi) unfortunately are not doing so well thus far, probably because the humidity is not as high as they would like. The sapling of rose glory bower (Clerodendrum bungei) also might not make it. It dropped all its leaves, which is perhaps not surprising, but new growth has yet to set in. The freesias are sprouting, though, and the other new plants appear to be doing ok so far.

2 comments:

  1. Great haul there! Love Aspidistra elatior, it does well even outdoors here.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, in our old garden in southwestern Germany it was hardy outdoors as well, happily colonizing a dry shady area around the lilacs and an Aucuba. Oddly enough in this country it is common as dirt wherever it is hardy outdoors, but outside those parts of the country it is not to be had anywhere, its uses as a houseplant somehow completely forgotten.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!