Monday, February 17, 2014

More Aspidistra Flowers and Other Happenings

After the small cast-iron plant (Aspidistra elatior) division opening a bloom a few days back, a larger plant from the same batch which I had not even noticed was budding produced two flowers yesterday. So since mr_subjunctive asked for more pictures anyway, here is a shot of those two blooms, though I am afraid it is hardly any better than the picture of the previous one:

More Aspidistra elatior flowers

In other news, I bought a bunch of seed sowing supplies on Saturday and got started on the first batch of seeds to be sown for spring and summer. I planted seeds of four Indian eggplant varieties and some stocks (Matthiola incana). The latter I started this early in the hope that if they have some time to develop in the cool sun room before being planted out as early as possible, they will grow nice and strong before the weather gets too hot for their liking. A few other tasks were accomplished as well; some house plants that had outgrown their pots were finally moved into larger containers, and I potted up a bunch of hyacinth and lily-flowered tulip bulbs for forcing in the sun room. The bulbs were leftovers on sale at the garden center; they still looked good and were just beginning to sprout, so I decided I might as well give them a chance. I have always loved hyacinths, and I have a special weakness for lily-flowered tulips, not only because in the past they have performed more reliably for me in the garden than other classes of tulips but also because they are reminiscent of the pointed tulips of Ottoman flower painting, so much more elegant than the plump goblets Western European and American horticulture has favored.

4 comments:

  1. Their blooms are curious looking things aren't they? And A. elatior is a lot hardier than first perceived to be, we grow them out in the garden :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. In our old garden in southern Germany they happily grew planted out in the ground as well. In fact, I wonder how the ones I planted twelve or so years ago are doing now. When I last went back to our old town about three years ago they were doing well and had spread quite a bit. Here in coastal New England they would probably make it through an average winter but not through one of continuous deep freezes like we are having right now.

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Indeed. I wonder if I would rather have those around than the fungus gnats that occasionally run rampant...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!