Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Strange Blooms

The divisions of cast-iron plant (Aspidistra elatior) that I dug up from the frontyard of my friend in New Orleans in November have yet to unfurl any new leaves, yet the smallest of them has been developing a flower bud for a while now. Yesterday it began to open, producing a bloom even stranger than the bloated earth-bound bud.

Flower of the cast-iron plant (Aspidistra elatior), about half open

Presumably the energy for this bud and perhaps the beginnings of the bud itself came from the massive, well-established clump from which I hacked off this little plant. This makes me think that I probably will not see flowers again for a while, until these specimens have become big and strong in their own right. Not that one grows these for their flowers anyway, but since they are such odd flowers and I had never seen one in real life I am still quite happy to have got this one.

5 comments:

  1. Whoa. (Needs more pictures / more angles, as this is likely the closest I'm ever going to get to seeing an Aspidistra bloom in person. Though I am not the boss of you, so I'll understand if you don't take more pictures just to make me happy.)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I can try for some more shots tomorrow. Unfortunately between less-than-perfect lighting and my current lack of a proper camera that can handle proper close-ups, this was pretty much the best I managed the other day.

      Delete
  2. WOW! Never seen a flower of the cast iron plant! Mine are languishing in a corner of the garden. I'll take better care of them:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, as I said, I doubt I had much to do with it. They do grow extremely well in the Deep South of this country, where I dug these up, and I am guessing this is all stored energy.

      Delete
  3. When a plant surprises you like this, it seems as if it was done just for you alone.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!