Tuesday, March 4, 2014

The Smell of Spring

The osmanthus continues to flower and emit its delicious fruity fragrance, more and more blossoms are opening among the freesias, and now the first of the forced hyacinths are beginning to bloom. As I walk through the apartment, I catch a whiff of spicy, springy scents here and there, always when I least expect it.

Hyacinths (Hyacinthus orientalis) in the sun room

Yesterday two more orders of seeds arrived, from Siskiyou Seeds and Southern Exposure Seed Exchange. The window sills are beginning to fill up, with seedlings of stocks and egg plant and parsley and many kinds of basil. All is waiting for spring.

2 comments:

  1. It may be indoors but they are still promises of spring :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I usually forced my hyacinths so they would bloom in January at a time when I truly need them. Thing I like about them is that you can plant them in the garden after they are done indoors, and (unlike most tulips) will come back in later years.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!