Tuesday, June 24, 2014

More from the Garden

Just a few more flowers from the garden today, since at this time of year there is such an abundance of them.

Stocks (Matthiola incana) being all ruffly and fabulous

Another stock, sadly underdeveloped but with an interesting color

Pelargonium 'Attar of Roses' - Dainty and deliciously scented!

Dwarf Asiatic lilies (Lilium cv.)

The first orange daylilies (Hemerocallis fulva)

I am contemplating what I should plant amongst the daylilies and irises to keep the show going later in the summer and fall. Right now there do not seem to be many plants for late-season color in the garden...

2 comments:

  1. I love the fragrance of stock as it carries me back to my first gardening guru's garden in Alaska. The person and the garden are no more but they both share a special place in my heart where this fragrance calls them to life. Yup, I 'm a sentimental fool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think those sort of sentimental memories are among the best reasons to grow things! One of the reasons I like opium poppies so much are memories of first seeing them in cottage gardens in the Alps in northern Italy on family vacations as a little kid. I had never seen poppies like that - opium poppies are illegal in Germany, and even the regular corn poppies were rare in the early 90s - and was totally fascinated. Stocks I first encountered as a description in a seed catalog and it was years since I finally saw a properly grown one, since again they seemed to be completely out of style at the time.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!