Monday, July 7, 2014

Beautiful Blossoms

Stewartia pseudocamellia is blooming all over town and the flowers are just gorgeous. They are usually of the purest white but a neighbor has a young tree with blossoms heavily flushed with reddish pink.  It also started flowering particularly early, but unfortunately a tall fence prevented me from taking a decent picture. Here, then, is the regular kind:

A close-up of a flower of Stewartia pseudocamellia

Another tree found here and there that is in peak bloom right now is the sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana). Unlike Stewartia pseudocamellia, which is native to Japan and Korea, the sweetbay magnolia is native throughout much of the eastern and southeastern United States. It is evergreen in the warmer parts of its range but looses most of its leaves during most winters here. In many ways it appears like a much more delicate version of its more well-known southern cousin, the evergreen magnolia (Magnolia grandiflora).

Flower of sweetbay magnolia (Magnolia virginiana)

Another pretty native grows along my usual running route. Apparently the flowering raspberry (Rubus odoratus) occurs wild throughout much of eastern North America and is commonly grown as an ornamental in parts of Europe, but I have to say I do not see it very often except for this patch.

 A blossom of flowering raspberry (Rubus odoratus)

I like how I keep "discovering" new plants around here as the seasons change - not so much plants that I did not know existed, but plants I did not realize grew here, or at least that I did not think were common.

1 comment:

  1. I have never heard of Stewartia but what a magnificent blossom. The petals look like crepe paper. You did get a lovely photograph despite the hight fence.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!