Thursday, July 17, 2014

Here Comes the Sun ... Flower

I had not grown sunflowers in many years but this spring I bought some seeds more or less on a whim and planted a few in the small garden patch downstairs. They were of two different varieties, the Russian 'Peredovik' and 'Hopi Dye Seed' from the American Southwest. Both have come along nicely, but 'Peredovik' is first to bloom:

'Peredovik' sunflower (Helianthus annuus 'Peredovik')

We do have a lot of birds flitting about the garden - yesterday two beautiful blue jays kept hopping around my beds - and some audacious squirrels, so I guess we will see how many seeds I will get to harvest.

2 comments:

  1. Beautiful flower! This is my favorite flower. But I've never successed on growing this plant.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Really? I think the secret might just lie in not fussing over them - I just sowed these in May and since then have just left them alone, although I have of course tended to the surrounding plants.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!