Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Harvest Time...

... for my eggplants, that is. They have taken quite a while to really take off - maybe because it has not been a very hot summer? - but now they are quite productive. I planted three Indian varieties with seeds from Baker Creek Heirloom Seeds, namely 'Kashmiri Brinjal', 'Arumugam's Eggplant', and 'Udmalbet'. The Kashmiri variety was for a long time a much stronger grower and started flowering earlier but the first flowers did not set fruit. Eventually the two other varieties, which hail from the state of Tamil Nadu in southern India, not only caught up but actually grew into bigger, stockier plants.

The first harvest - 'Kashmiri Brinjal' in light purple at the top, 'Udmalbet' with deep purple stripes, and 'Arumugam's Eggplant' in light green

We used most of these first eggplants in a vegetable chili that turned out quite delicious, and I do think they were more tender and flavorful than store-bought ones. I think I will grow these varieties again next year, although I might also want to try some more varieties. In any case I will sow the seeds a few weeks later than I did this year because while my seedlings developed nicely, they ended up having to wait on the windowsill for the weather outside to warm up for longer than they would have liked.

4 comments:

  1. I would say - you love eggplant. My only way of eating them is to deep fry them - great. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are great fried... I do like eggplants a lot, so I try to find ways of using them that do not require them to be soaking in oil.

      Delete
  2. The light purple color is so beautiful, but the shape is not normal I think. The striped one is so interesting. I'm growing 5 varieties of eggplant this season, I love this veg, for eaten raw or cooked.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are supposed to be long and thin, but I am not sure why they formed those dented scarred bits at the tip. Maybe some insect damage? That is awesome that you have five varieties! I wish I had space for more...

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!