Wednesday, August 27, 2014

Zinnias!

I did not really plan to plant zinnias this year but then I found an old leftover packet of seeds of some tall double mix of Zinnia elegans and decided to give them a chance instead of just throwing them out. Of all the seeds thrown in a little pot in the sun room only one germinated, but it quickly made a nice sturdy seedling. When the weather had warmed up in mid-May I planted it out at the edge of one of the raised beds - and the very next day a bird plucked off the growing tip, leaving nothing but a little stump. I thought that was that for zinnias this year, but that little seedling was not going to give up so easily. It resprouted and branched and grew and blossomed and is quite a beauty now.

My determined magenta zinnia (Zinnia elegans) - notice how some flowers are single or semi-double while others are fully double

Maybe I can save some seed from this fighter of a plant. And/or buy seed of some more colors and flower shapes. Either way, there will probably be more zinnias next year.

4 comments:

  1. I wouldn't doubt that they will show up next year and every year thereafter. A friend gave me some of here seeds a few years ago and I every year they show up-sometimes in the wrong places. They are one tough little flower.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They even reseed on their own? Mmmh, I wonder if they will do that here as well with our cold winters. In the Michigan garden they always did very well but I never thought to save seed, and never came across any volunteer seedlings the year after. But maybe I was just deadheading too fastidiously.

      Delete
  2. The blooms are cheerful and looks exotic depending on the setting. Well worth planting :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So cheerful indeed! Surprisingly they also do not seem very troubled by powdery mildew these days, which they always seemed to be covered in when I was a kid.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!