Monday, September 15, 2014

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - September 2014

For Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day this month I mainly have things to show that have been in bloom since at least last month, if not longer. I should start adding some plants that come into flower in early fall to the flowerbeds in the communal garden downstairs and also get some seasonal blooms for the balcony. There are chrysanthemums, of course, but I am also thinking colchicums, cyclamen, Montauk daisies, different asters...

Hibiscus acetosella

A white cultivar of purple coneflower (Echinacea purpurea)

Four o'clock (Mirabilis jalapa)

African marigolds (Tagetes erecta) with cosmos (Cosmos bipinnatus) and van tulsi or wild basil (Ocimum gratissimum)

Zinnia elegans

Single tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa)

Double tuberose (Polianthes tuberosa 'The Pearl')

The nights are already getting quite chilly, so we will see how much longer all this late-summer color and and fragrance lasts. I have sown mâche and lettuce though, the is kale growing bigger and thicker, and lots of spring-flowering bulbs will be arriving soon for planting. So even as the pleasures of one season are declining there are always new things to look forward to.

8 comments:

  1. Amazing to see tuberoses blooming in your latitude. They bloom here only in the monsoon season.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Very few people here grow them, although I have not had any problem bringing them to bloom. I will have to see if I can get them through the winter inside to have them flower again next summer.

      Delete
  2. Tell me more about that white coneflower. I've been meaning to add some to the garden, but just haven't taken the plunge yet. Is it really sturdy or does it flop?

    Christine in Alaska

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This one was actually only planted this summer, so I cannot vouch for how tall it might grow in future seasons. However, I do have a clump of white coneflower at my parents' place in Michigan which is three years old and has been consistently shorter and sturdier, if somewhat less vigorous, than the regular purple kind and not floppy at all. They look identical, so I suspect that this here is the same selection and will behave similarly.

      Delete
  3. Beautiful! I have never seen white echinacea before. Your polyanthes must be have sweet fragrance. I grow polyanthes on my front yard, but they look so poor.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are wonderfully fragrant indeed, and interestingly enough I have noticed a slight difference between the smell of the single and the double kinds. The latter's scent is somehow heavier and spicier.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!