Saturday, October 18, 2014

Last-Minute Success

Today may well have been the last really mild day of the year - temperatures are predicted to plummet tomorrow - and this morning when I looked out the kitchen window, I discovered a single beautiful bloom on the little moonflower (Ipomoea alba) that has been growing slowly and modestly all summer.

Moonflower (Ipomoea alba)

This may well turn out not just the first but also the last flower this specimen manages to produce but it really was gorgeous. I wonder if there is some trick to getting these to flower earlier, or whether it is just a matter of getting them plenty of heat and sunshine.

6 comments:

  1. That's really beautiful and nice fragrant. I grow two Moon flower, they are ready to be transplanted, but I really busy this week. I hope I'm not too late, so they can grow well.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Best of luck! I am sure they do beautifully in your tropical climate.

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! I've tried it here but most summers we don't get enough of the heat it so loves and have never had one bloom. Kudos to you on your last minute success!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I suspect that was the reason they took so long here as well, especially since this year was a relatively mild summer here.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!