Wednesday, November 26, 2014

Fingered Citrons!

The Whole Foods near my parents' place in Michigan - I am back home for Thanksgiving (on the topic of which, watch this if you need a good laugh) - has a whole bunch of beautiful and beautifully fragrant Buddha's hand or fingered citrons (Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis):

Fingered citrons (Citrus medica var. sarcodactylis)

Of course they were not price-tagged and I had the well-meaning staff of the produce section running around for a good while in trying to figure out what the price of this weird fruit no one else seems to be buying might be. Eventually, it was established to be $4.99 a piece, which was much better than what I had expected

4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Indeed - though I suppose many will just find it strange.

      Delete
  2. Interesting! Here we call it 'jeruk jari Buddha'. As a minor product and only used as ornamental and medical purpose.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are not at all common here either - in fact, most people have no idea what they are. I think they are being sold mainly for their fragrance and for decoration, though I have read that they can be used as flavoring also.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!