Thursday, December 11, 2014

A Bit of Inspiration

This summer I came across this brief article - more of a photo essay really - about myriad small yellow flowers appearing in the lawns around the Tomb of Humayun in Delhi during the summer monsoon rains. Somehow the images stuck in the back of my mind; I think it would be a lovely effect to try to recreate in the garden.

City Nature - Yellow Flowers, Humayun's Tomb

The flowers are yellow rain lilies (Zephyranthes citrina). They are native to Mexico and are only supposed to be hardy to zone 7 but I wonder if in a sheltered spot and with some winter protection they might make it here. They certainly seem to be carefree and prolific in climates that agree with them.

4 comments:

  1. I grow two version of rain lily, white and pink. They are so lovely. I want to grow the yellow one. It looks so beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nice! I got some of the pink ones this year to keep in a pot. They have not flowered yet but I hope they will next season.

      Delete
  2. Lots of yellow crocus in the lawn might give a zone 7 garden a similar look. My lawn looks this way most of the year due to a large population of Taraxacum officinale.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was thinking that... The dandelions I personally do not really mind either, but their sturdy, fluffy stars and shade of yellow are not quite as elegant as those little yellow lily trumpets.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!