Monday, December 15, 2014

Flowers for the Season

Two trips to Trader Joe's in the last couple of days each had me returning home with some bargain-priced holiday cheer of the floral variety. Three days ago I came back with a $2.99 poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima). Today it was a beautiful Christmas rose (Helleborus niger) priced at $9.99 - three weeks ago the fancy florist's shop down the street wanted $29.99 for specimens that were in no way any nicer!

Red poinsettia (Euphorbia pulcherrima)

 Christmas rose (Helleborus niger)

Meanwhile, the forsythia branches I brought back from the Michigan garden to force have begun to open their first buds, over a week ahead of schedule.

Forced forsythia branches blooming

Sometime in the next couple of days I should also go and get a Christmas tree before all the nice ones are gone...

4 comments:

  1. They look pristine and lovely, bargains!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Pristine really is the best word for the blooms of that hellebore.

      Delete
  2. Lovely seasonal blooms. I wonder if our TJ's has hellebores. I need to check them out because I know what you mean about those prices. I love forsythia and still remember the ones I had when we lived in St Louis. I still have branches of pussy willow from there. They seem to last forever.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get to check? The one near my parents in Michigan had the hellebores two weeks earlier, so the offerings and timing seem to differ regionally.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!