Monday, December 8, 2014

The Indoor Garden

A little over a year ago I visited a friend in New Orleans. I came back with a bag full of plants and lots of seeds, including several handfuls of Canna indica seeds gathered in the lush, overgrown backyard of the building where she was living at the time. In late winter I planted them in a pot and kept them warm and moist on the window sill along with the other seeds I was sowing. Nothing happened. Everything else germinated, but not the Canna seeds. Eventually, some time in early June, I gave up and threw the contents of the pot onto one of the raised beds. Lo and behold, in late July a little seedling finally appeared between the eggplants. Once it had a few leaves I potted it up and brought it to the balcony, and in October it moved to its winter quarters in the sun room. Shortly afterwards it began to send up further shoots from its expanding rhizome - there are three so far! - and today it opened its first flower. I was expecting the typical orange-red most common in the wild form but instead got a lovely bright yellow with striking red leopard flecks on some of the petals.

My Canna indica seedling blooming for the first time

The sun room is looking nice and lush otherwise as well. Here is a quick look around:





One day I will figure out some elegant way to cover up the space below the plant benches. Maybe I can grow enough trailing plants to curtain at least a good part of it. Then again, their pots would take up a lot of space on the benches themselves...

10 comments:

  1. Loving your sun room! And not bad at all to get it to bloom when you nearly gave up on the seeds :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I was really surprised not only when it finally appeared but also that it then developed so quickly. Flowers after only five months seems very fast for a big plant like this, even if this inflorescence is smaller than those produced by fully grown plants.

      Delete
  2. The room is beautiful and I really love the yellow canna.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I used to think that the wild forms of Canna indica were rather disappointing compared to the flashy hybrids but the delicacy of the flowers has really grown on me.

      Delete
  3. Happy plants! What I wouldn't give for a sunroom. All that natural light...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is rather nice and was a pick factor in our decision when we picked this apartment - even if the plants are only happy as long as I can keep the spider mites and whitefly somewhat under control!

      Delete
  4. Replies
    1. Thanks! Not that neat though... I can never pick up all the dead leaves and such fast enough.

      Delete
  5. Your garden room is beautiful! It must feel wonderful to spend time there during the cold winter months!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does! Though it is best on sunny days like the one on which I took this picture. On dark gloomy ones it is neither as nice nor as warm.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!