Sunday, February 15, 2015

Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day - February 2015

We are currently living through yet another massive snowstorm, so needless to say, there is not much in the way of flowers to be found outside. Our street currently looks like this:

Snow, snow, snow... and check out those icicles! 

Luckily, even while outside looks more and more like we are living through some trippy live-action version of the movie Frozen, there are a few things in bloom inside. Some are trusty stalwarts that are practically always in bloom though perhaps not very showy, like crown of thorns (Euphorbia milii) and Anthurium scandens:

Crown of thorns (Euphorbia milii)

Anthurium scandens

Then there are, oddly enough, two basils, the ever vigorous van tulsi or wild basil (Ocimum gratissimum) and the more finicky and delicate regular tulsi  (Ocimum tenuiflorum):

Van tulsi (Ocimum gratissimum)

Tulsi (Ocimum tenuiflorum)

Some of the 'Constantinople' narcissi are still blooming as well, and then there are the flowering plants that I have bought in the past weeks to add some color and fragrance, like the florist's cyclamen and the Jasminum polyanthum.

Narcissus tazetta 'Constantinople'

One of the florist's cyclamen (Cyclamen persicum cv.)

Jasminum polyanthum

Creeping bellflower (Campanula sp.)

And last but not least, there are the flowers I got for Valentine's Day from the best of significant others - not living plants, per se, nor grown here, but still lovely:

My Valentine's Day flowers... :)

Now back to studying and dreaming of all the things I will plant one day when this snow actually melts...

12 comments:

  1. Lovely to have house plants blooming in the midst of a snow storm!
    Happy Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day!
    Lea

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed... All that snow and ice is much prettier when viewed through a window full of greenery and flowers - and with a hot mug of tea in hand.

      Delete
  2. So different from my day here in the west og Norway. We almost reached 10 degrees celcius, the sky is blue and the first Crocus started to Bloom. Hope the spring soon will come to you too!
    Regards from Anne-Kristin

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I saw your post about the crocuses and was very jealous! I even sent a screenshot of it to my best friend from high school who went to business school in Bergen and now lives in Oslo complaining about how it is so much colder and snowier here. Hopefully it will not be too much longer until we get to see some crocuses, too... :)

      Delete
  3. Love your blooming houseplants... something to get you through the winter for sure! That red Euphorbia is a very nice one. Stay warm!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I think I wil stay ensconced on my comfy couch for another day at least thanks to President's Day tomorrow.

      Delete
  4. Yikes! At least you're snug and warm indoors and surrounded by blooms!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yup... I guess I really cannot complain, especially since even my works consists primarily of reading and grading, which I can comfortably do from my couch.

      Delete
  5. Basil in the middle of that arctic blast! I bet it smells very appetizing. The jasmine too. I really need to buy a crown of thorns for my greenhouse. Your window view is very similar to my son's, who lives in Dorchester, MA. Happy GBBD!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it seems all of coastal New England is similarly buried in snow - and Dorchester is just thirty minutes away, right across the city. The crown of thorns really is a joy, and I should appreciate it more. It flowers non-stop all year, is forgiving of irregular watering and never seems to attract pests or diseases, even in the darkest part of the year. The wild basil does have a strong sweet fragrance - I think it is nice, although one of my friends once described it as "a combination of pot and Red Bull"...

      Delete
  6. So sorry to hear about your snow and cold temps but I'm happy for you that you have your beautiful sun room full of plants to enjoy! It would probably be in poor taste to point out that we're having a very mild winter and that the plants all think it's spring alrady. We're all hoping that there won't be a late season freeze to damage all the tender new growth and blooms! Hope you're enjoying Presidents' day and keeping warm in your indoor paradise! Your s.o. is a keeper! Gorgeous flowers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahaha... Thanks! I am glad you get to enjoy an early spring. Fingers crossed that there will not be any late frosts! And yes, he is a keeper - he also cooked all weekend and did all of the housework as I have been studying all day every day for a big exam this afternoon.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!