Monday, February 9, 2015

Guess what is happening outside...

... That's right, another snowstorm! Meanwhile, inside a Jasminum polyanthum I bought a few weeks ago is beginning to bloom.

Jasminum polyanthum in the sun room

Jasminum polyanthum was the first fragrant jasmine I grew as a kid - the scentless yellow Jasminum nudiflorum was already flourishing in the garden of our first house when we moved in and was also ubiquitous all around the neighborhood - and its fragrance is still the quintessential jasmine smell for me, even though I have noticed over time that the scents of the various fragrant species of jasmine, while all lovely, are actually quite distinctive.

4 comments:

  1. Sorry about your seemingly endless winter! My Jasmine polyanthum is also blooming. I'll think of you next time I'm in the greenhouse enjoying that luscious fragrance!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The snow I do not even mind; if only it were a bit milder...

      Delete
  2. Wow, a very bountiful flower buds! I have never seen jasmine like this before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Jasminum polyanthum is probably the most vigorous species of jasmine, but it likes more temperate climates. In places like California it can grown huge and cover big walls.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!