Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Slowly, Very Slowly...

I had hoped that when we got back from France spring would finally be in full swing here as well but alas, the freezing temperatures continued until the beginning of this week. Yesterday the thermometer finally rose a bit, and the fragrance of witch hazels (Hamamelis cv.) became perceptible all over campus as they unfurled their spidery sulphur-yellow and bronze-red blossoms.

Witch hazel (Hamamelis cv.) in bloom, with lots of snow still on the ground

Coming up soon: my reports on the gardens we visited while in France, and updates on what is flowering and sprouting on my window sill.

6 comments:

  1. It may not be spring for you yet but it's something. Hope Jack Frost packs his bags and leaves for vacation soon!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! I am hoping today's snow flurries and light frost really will be the last and we will have daffodils and hyacinths going soon!

      Delete
  2. Witch hazel is a plant that, if I ever saw it here in the cold north, I would probably faint. I need to find a super hardy one and give it a try. They are just gorgeous!

    Christine in Alaska, no flowers of any kind yet

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh no... :(

      They are at least another zone or two hardier than here, I think, though I am not sure if that is enough for Anchorage. Deer also love munching on them in winter, however, so I feel as though they are much riskier in the suburbs than on a fairly urban campus...

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Yes... I wonder if that influenced the English name or if tha is just because they bloom when it is still cold.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!