Sunday, August 30, 2015

The Climbers

Many other things might be declining or finished, but late summer and early fall are high season around here for many climbing annuals of tropical origins. The moonflowers (Ipomoea alba) do not really get going until July and are only now beginning to set flower buds, but regular morning glories (Ipomoea purpurea cv.), cypress vinea (Ipomoea quamoclit), and black-eyed Susan vine (Thunbergia alata) are already in full bloom.

Cypress vine (Ipomoea quamoclit), with its hard-to-capture shade of red

Common pink morning glories (Ipomoea purpurea cv.)

Black-eyed Susan vine (Thunbergia alata)

Maybe next year I should add some more such annual creepers - butterfly peas (Clitoria ternatea) would be lovely, though the seeds are hard to come by here, and I have also never tried cup-and-saucer vine (Cobaea scandens)...

2 comments:

  1. I like your climbers. They mostly grow wildly on the roadside.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wish these grew wild on the roadside here! The regular morning glories do grow by themselves every year in many urban yards where they were planted once many years ago, but the others need to be planted every year. I have to admit, though, that this year I just threw out an old packed of black-eyed Susan vine seeds that I thought would no longer germinate and ended up with them coming up everywhere between my rice plants.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!