Tuesday, September 29, 2015

Fall Travels 2015 - Part 1: Cranbrook, Bloomfield Hills, Michigan, USA

The weekend before last I went home to my parents' place in Michigan - I  already posted a few flowers from the garden there - and that Sunday, while enjoying the most glorious fall weather, my mom and I took a walk around Cranbrook, the historic estate and gardens at the heart of the Cranbrook Educational Community. The latter encompasses not just PK-12 schools but also a prestigious and historically important graduate school of art and design, an art museum, a science museum, and an Episcopal church. I have written about Cranbrook before, but the gardens looked particularly beautiful a week ago so I wanted to post some of the pictures.

View along the Reflecting Pool towards the Cranbrook Art Museum

A lovely toad lily (Tricyrtis sp.)

The mansion bathed in autumn sun

The Herb Garden

On one of the terraces between the house and the Sunken Garden

The Sunken Garden from above

Perennial borders in the Sunken Garden

Another view of one of the beautiful long borders

A white Japanese anemone (Anemone hupehensis cv.)

An autumnal riot of New England asters (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae cvs.)

Apparently the greenhouse range, which is located just behind the Sunken Garden, can be visited on certain days as well. I never knew about this, but I will have to make sure to check it out next time I am back in Michigan.

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful place and garden. The flower beds are really awesome.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!