Saturday, September 19, 2015

La vie en rose

I am visiting my parents in Michigan for the weekend, which of course also means I am checking in on the garden here. Dry, hot weather has left its mark here as well, though perhaps not as much as back in the Boston area. Much of the garden is beginning to take on autumnal hues, and among the things actually in bloom, saturated shades of red and pink definitely predominate.

Bougainvillea (Bougainvillea cv.)

Flowering maple (Abutilon x hybridum)

A bright pink New England aster (Symphyotrichum novae-angliae cv.)

A semi-double Japanese anemone (Anemone hupehensis cv.)

The bougainvillea is putting on its best show ever. It was a souvenir from a trip to Florida many years ago, and was languishing without flowering or growing much in a pot that had gotten much too small for a long time until last year I finally moved it to a big container. Since then it has been growing and blooming like crazy. It spends the winter in my parents' cool, bright sitting room and the summer on the south-facing front steps of the house. The flowering maple is the last survivor of whole host of Abutilons in many different colors that I raised from a packet of seed when I was in high school. It, too, spends the winters in the sitting room but in the summer it occupies a cooler, shadier spot on the terrace in the backyard. The Japanese anemone, too, is a survivor from my first Michigan garden, where it had formed a huge clump that flowered like crazy quite late in the fall. In this garden, in a spot with more consistent moisture and slightly less sun, it has been much slower to establish itself and for some reason blooms quite a bit earlier.

2 comments:

  1. From the other side of the lake (Lake Michigan), I can relate to your posting today. Colors are beginning here too. I just finished yesterday doing more bonsai on the bougainvillea that I bring in every Autumn. I love the twisted "trunk" that I have been able to create. I have had that plant 17 years. And now the Monarch butterflies are here - dozens of them - so great to see after so many years of none. Jack

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Here there seem to be no monarchs at all this year, I have not seen one in forever. Glad that in Wisconsin they have returned!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!