Sunday, October 18, 2015

The Return of the Roses

As anyone who grows them in this part of the world knows, most roses have their peak in May and June around here, and those species and varieties that bloom just once a year generally flower only then. Those roses that are capable of repeat bloom - which includes the modern hybrid teas and those plastic-y "Knock Out" roses that have conquered every strip mall parking lot and suburban front yard in recent years - generally languish somewhat through the hotter part of the summer but then put on another beautiful show as temperatures cool down in the fall. I already posted about 'Gruß an Teplitz' a little while ago, and today I wanted to share a few pictures of the historic China roses 'Old Blush' and 'Slater's Crimson China'.


Rosa 'Old Blush', leaning out from the balcony

Another bloom of 'Old Blush' - note how different the shape is, with many more petals

Rosa 'Slater's Crimson China'

Meanwhile, my mother sent a picture this morning of the beautiful Bourbon variety 'Souvenir de la Malmaison' blooming in our old garden in Germany.

Rosa 'Souvenir de la Malmaison'

Tonight we might get the first frost, so I moved a few more plants inside this afternoon. The roses, though, I do not expect to be fazed by just a light frost. Last year they bloomed well into December.

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful. There's no rose in my garden right now. White fly and spider mites have attacked my collection.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh white flies and spider mite - they are the bane of my existence, too. I just put up new white fly traps in the sun room, since they love to infest a lot of the tropical plants in the sun room during the winter.

      Delete
  2. Lovely roses. I also have a souvenir de malmaison here in Austria and it was a joy this summer, since we had very little rain. A beautiful rose!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!