Tuesday, March 15, 2016

German Flowers and Indian Compost

I have been neglecting this blog horribly of late, even though my plants have been doing lots of things and I have also already been buying and sowing seeds like a maniac. Somehow things have just always been so busy, between teaching, trying to work on my dissertation research, and doing the actual gardening. Now for spring break I am in Germany visiting my parents, who have recently returned to live here, and while I was hoping to get some lengthier posts up, the temporary internet connection - the proper one is finally supposed to be set up tomorrow - is so unreliable that that is a rather daunting undertaking. So for now here are just some pictures and an article I have been meaning to post for weeks.

Sloe (Prunus spinosa) blossoms in the evening light

The article in question is the following, from The Better India, discussing a promising new business in the North Indian city of Kanpur that turns the massive amounts of cut flowers that remain as daily waste products of Indian religious life and often pollute waterways into compost and incense:


I am not entirely sure how composting the flowers or turning them into incense solves the problem of pesticide residue that may adhere to them and pollute the environment, but it appears like a laudable step in the right direction nonetheless, especially as the business also creates jobs for local women. The company's website can be found at www.helpusgreen.com.
Windflower (Anemone nemorosa)

Lots more soon!

4 comments:

  1. Welcome back! Spring will do that to you. That first bloom, and it is usually the anemone, just draws you back to the beauty of the garden. Happy Bloom Day.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! Hopefully for the next Bloom Day there will be plenty to report from our own garden!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful! Thanks to remain me, our compost bin is ready to be harvested.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love it when there is compost ready for use... :)

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!