Friday, April 22, 2016

Garden History Meets Activism

I woke up this morning only to find something - I am afraid it was a mouse - had wreaked havoc on the rice seedlings in the sunroom. Luckily most of the seedlings that had been completely destroyed were of the easier, earlier varieties of which I have plenty of seed rather than the rarer landraces that I am trialing this year and of which I only have very limited seed, and which moreover might be less likely to succeed if I have to start them anew at this point. Even so, I was seething with frustration, especially since I have to somehow figure out another place for the young plants where they can grow undisturbed, safe from the predations of whatever nocturnal critter has apparently taken up residence with us.

In the meantime, here is an article from the Harvard Gazette about one of my peers and his very exciting work as both an academic and activist working for the preservation of historic gardens in Istanbul:

Defender of Urban Gardens

Needless to say, I am very excited to read Aleksander's dissertation when it is completed.

2 comments:

  1. Oh those nocturnal visitors. We can shut out the big ones but those smaller ones. I too have had those little visitors. I hope you find a safer place for your seedlings and the project is a success.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks! The mouse - it has been confirmed that it is a mouse - is still at large, evading every trap I set out regardless of how fancy the bait. However, so far there has not been anymore damage to seedlings.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!