Wednesday, May 4, 2016

More Spring

This continues to be a challenging spring, gardening-wise. The weather has been very chilly the last couple of days, which has kept me from moving outside lots of tender plants that for months have been suffering through less-than-ideal conditions and spider mite infestations inside. As if that where not enough, I am pretty sure there is something seriously wrong with the potting soil I have been using for the past two months. Most of my seedlings are much smaller than they should be by this point, and not a few have developed discolorations of their leaves and stems. I can only hope that they will perk up once they are planted out in good soil in the garden or transferred to larger containers for the deck. Unfortunately, I still have quite a bit of the suspicious soil, which I now do not even dare add to the garden beds. So while I wait for the weather and improve and my plants to catch up and keep buying new soil, here are some more pictures of things that are doing well:

Tulipa 'Elegans Rubra'

Tulipa acuminata

 A double lilac (Syringa vulgaris cv.)

More - hopefully positive - news soon...

5 comments:

  1. Hi! Tell us more about that potting soil. Brand? Where purchased? Does it have a description of ingredients on the outside of the bag? Someone might be able to help you get to the bottom of this problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was from a local garden center called Mahoney's, their house brand. The ingredients listed are all normal.

      Delete
  2. I think I might go back and have a chat with them. If they are a good place, they will want to know, and others may have had problems. Good luck with it, and the weather. We have had rainy cold here in Phialdephia for awhile and the ten day forecast shows no sign of clearing although it is going to warm up!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!