Thursday, June 30, 2016

Opium Poppies

Compared to the last two it has not been a very good year for opium poppies (Papaver somniferum) here, perhaps because of the roller-coaster weather we had all spring. A few plants have developed nicely though, and they are at the brief, blink-and-you-will-miss-it peak now:

The Slovakian heirloom 'Elka' produces fat white poppy seeds for culinary use - if only I had the space to grow enough of it to use for cooking and baking!

The more ornamental 'Danish Flag' produces two variants - one with even petal edges...

... and one with dramatic frills

In future summers I am going to have to add a few more varieties to my repertoire.

2 comments:

  1. They're both sumptuous but just loving the colours of Danish Flag!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need to find some seeds of these and add to my poppy "annuals" growing collection I enjoyed you showing them to us.
    Ray

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!