Friday, July 22, 2016

Starry Strawflowers

I had not grown strawflowers (Xerochrysum bracteatum) in a decade but boy am I glad that on whim late in the winter I ordered some seed and raised a batch of seedlings, because now that they are beginning to bloom and the different colors are appearing I am just in love with them.

Purple-pink was the first color to begin blooming...

...followed by orange-red...

...and now yellow

Now if only all my annual flowers where as tough and self-reliant as these darlings have been so far...

4 comments:

  1. This is one annual I have never tried. I love them though, the flowers don't look quite real. Like their common name, they look like they're made out of straw or paper. Maybe next year I'll give them a shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They are surprisingly easy and grateful, even if a bit slow in the beginning, so I totally recommend them!

      Delete
  2. Beautiful strawflower! I have ever grown strawflower several years ago. I saved them as dried flowers. They were growing so lush and productive and the height more than 2 meters.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow, mine are only about half that height!

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!