Wednesday, August 10, 2016

Nocturnal Whites

Warm summer nights are here, and with them many night-blooming flowers. Most of these are white and fragrant, presumably because these are traits that help attract nocturnal moths. Further catering to the months, a few are also long and tubular, perfectly adapted to moth proboscises.

Jimson weed (Datura stramonium) - several of these have popped up on the new strip of land that has been added to our garden as a result of the new sidewalks we got this spring

Abyssinian gladiolus (Gladiolus murielae)

Sweet four o'clock (Mirabilis longiflora)

Woodland tobacco (Nicotiana sylvestris)

'Old Fashioned Vining' petunias - these also come in various shades of pink and purple, but the white-flowered plants are usually the most vigorous and all of them are particularly fragrant at night

In the sun room, Epiphyllum strictum is blooming away

More colors and lots of green to follow soon...

6 comments:

  1. Oh, I don't think I've ever seen a Datura with purple inside like that! It's very pretty! I love woodland tobacco too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I was surprised by it, too... I had kind of been hoping for big velvety white flowers.

      Delete
  2. They are so interesting! The gladiolus is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  3. :)

    I wish the Abyssinian gladiolus was as hardy as other gladioli

    ReplyDelete
  4. The fragrance in your garden must be amazing. I know I really treasure those fragrances even though sometimes they are fleeting. I should take notes to remind myself to grow nicotiana next year. Are we gardeners always planning next year before this one is over?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Indeed - I try to remind myself to actually enjoy plants when they are their peak, instead of always just planning for things to come. Then again, the planning and anticipation is a big part of the fun, too.

      Delete

Thanks for stopping by!