Saturday, January 21, 2017

A Walk Around Town

Tuesday brought the first sunshine after several days of dreary rain and I could not resist taking a break from my research at the British Library to wander about under blue skies. I started out at Green Park and continued on through Hyde Park and Kensington Gardens to Holland Park, enjoying the bright light and the first little signs of spring, despite the frosty temperatures.

A Patrick Blanc vertical garden in Mayfair

Delicate camellias in bloom in Hyde Park

A fancy double hellebore

Tree fern lushness provided by Dicksonia antarctica

 Royal formality in Kensington Gardens

View towards what remains of Holland House in Holland Park

Surprising walls of tiles

More camellias

A particularly floriferous Viburnum x bodnantense

Gorse (Ulex europaeus) golden in the sunshine

In the Kyoto Garden

Higan cherry (Prunus x subhirtella 'Autumnalis')

Apart from the greenery and precocious blooms, I was also quite taken with the animals throughout these parks. From waterfowl like swans and geese to wood pigeons, peacocks, and ringneck parakeets, these parks are teeming with birds, most of them decidedly tamer and less wary of people than usual because of how frequently feed them. The same is true of the squirrels, which, while adorable, appear to all be American Eastern gray squirrels (Sciurus carolinensis), an invasive species here that displaces the native European red squirrel (Sciurus vulgaris). 

3 comments:

  1. Beautiful - makes me yearn for spring. I love the rocks around the Kyoto garden. I am always amazed at the vertical wall gardens. I don't think I could ever pull that off. I don't see how they keep them watered.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they have quite a bit of infrastructure underneath - some sort of fabric and drip irrigation probably?

      Delete
  2. Cherry blossoms in January. Now that might be classed as torture to some people! *grumbles about Canadian winters*

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for stopping by!