Saturday, March 25, 2017

My Camellias

The camellia that I planted in my family's garden in Germany when I was a child is blooming and for the first time in years I am around to see it.

Beginning to open the other day...

In full bloom in today's warm sunshine

One of the atypical pinkish red flowers that appear on some branches

The variety this specimen belongs to is 'Lavinia Maggi', which was recommended at the time I bought it for its hardiness and later flowering that avoids heavy frosts. Although it was already quite large when I planted it, it hardly flowered at all the first few years, and then we moved to the United States. Luckily it did take off eventually, and now grows and blooms vigorously. Perhaps it is time to add some more camellias to this garden...

2 comments:

Thanks for stopping by!