Wednesday, March 15, 2017

Paris Pleaures: Le Jardin des Plantes

Once again I have fallen behind on reporting here on my garden-related adventures. If by any chance you follow me on Instagram, you will have seen that while I have been away from my own garden and plants, I have had the good fortune of visiting quite a few parks and botanic gardens over the past weeks. As always, I will try to also write a bit about them here, beginning today with the Jardin des Plantes, the comparatively small but nevertheless delightful historic botanic garden in the 5th arrondissement in the middle of Paris. Begun in 1635 on the left bank of the Seine, the complex also contains a zoo and the National Museum of Natural History. I, of course, tend to focus on the botanical and horticultural parts, which include a large systematic garden demonstrating plant families, a hilltop hedge maze dating to the 18th century complete with an original gazebo know as the Gloriette de Buffon, named after George-Louis Leclerc, Comte de Buffon (1707-1788), who had served as director of the garden, then the Jardin du Roi, and a series of soaring art deco greenhouses. Much of the garden was still dormant during my February visits, of course, but here and there things were already blooming, and in the greenhouses the annual orchid display Mille et une orchidées was on.

A view along the main axis of the garden on a sunny day

Rosemary (Rosmarinus officinalis) just beginning to bloom

Winter honeysuckle (Lonicera fragrantissima)

Part of the systematic section

A very happy European fan palm (Chamaerops humilis)

The first Edgeworthia chrysantha I got to see in bloom this year

A view up into a massive cedar of Lebanon (Cedrus libani) planted in 1734

The Gloriette de Buffon atop the hedge maze

Loads of hellebores

The art deco conservatory, with lush tree ferns even on the outside

Some of the 1001 orchids

Laelia anceps, which I seem to be noticing more and more often

The prettiest foliage

Entrance to the outdoor gardens is free - and they do act as a popular park for the surrounding neighborhood - while for the greenhouses an entrance fee is charged. On a completely separate note, today is also Garden Bloggers' Bloom Day, and while I cannot contribute anything from plantings of my own this month since I have been traveling, check out what is going on in others' gardens at May Dreams Gardens.

1 comment:

Thanks for stopping by!